Thursday, September 19, 2013

SOWA Open Market: Elizabeth Benotti Pottery

At Sunday's SOWA Market, one of the first booths I was drawn to was that of potter Elizabeth Benotti. I got to the show fairly early, and her booth seemed to have a steady flow of traffic, every time I looked...






I'm lucky I finally took my chance and edged my way into the booth and could take in all the eye candy up close. What a cool drink of water, her booth was!

Any time I see line art work on pottery, I am so there. I just LOVE line on pottery.... and the palette!






 Raw wood... little cacti... Clouds with rain drops. (Hmmm I'm humming a tune now...) GREAT display with  beautiful work. (This girl has got it going ON!)





Ooh, a real Lady tea cup! I love a fanciful, hand-crafted tea cup like this...





Elizabeth's style is so fresh. I'm feeling a minimalist Japanese aesthetic (in fact these really remind me of my stepmom) mixed with some Native American elements, a little seafaring style, a dash of boho hippie in there.... So organic in form and in the line and the glazing. I love the rustic quality, the functionality and the hand of it.. this is what makes a handmade piece so special- the hand! :D







I talked a bit with Elizabeth and I learned that she is originally from New England. She went to school at the University of Colorado in Boulder. (I found out later from her Etsy bio that she went on to study at the Mendocino Art Center in California, too).  Once she mentioned Colorado, it really clicked for me. Her work feels infused by Colorado. But now that I have learned that she also spent time in California, it's clicked even more. I can really see it and feel it in her work five times over!  I never lived in Colorado, but I did live in (its state neighbor) Utah for a time. And once you spend some 24/7 time in that part of the country, you really do experience it inside out, and it is a special sort of mood and feeling to life out there. I was also born in California and I lived in the Hollywood Hills (like, in the hills - canyons, the Hollywood sign, succulent shrubs, long dusty hikes, coyotes, lightning storms) for the first 9 years of my life so I really do understand that 'West Coast' feeling ... I have it a little bit deep inside of me and I can really just feel it throughout her work. No wonder I was so drawn to her stuff (you know, aside from the fact that it's just plain awesome.)




 (Aren't we lucky she moved back?)




You can find Elizabeth and her pottery here:

Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ebenotti

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ElizabethBenottiCeramics

Web site
http://www.elizabethbenotti.com/Elizabeth_Benotti_Ceramics/Home.html

Pinterest
http://www.pinterest.com/ebenotti/

2 comments:

Heather Davulcu said...

Ohmygoodness I LOVE those clouds!! They are going on my wish list!

Unknown said...

Cool, Heather!! Glad you like them! So do I! :D